[PD] Saving Gem output as video file on MacOSX ?

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Wed Feb 13 19:37:11 CET 2008

Dudley Brooks wrote:
> Meanwhile, what recommendations does anyone have for other methods of
> making a DVD of Gem output,

I record my actions during performance, then later play them back into
my patch with pix_write and writesf~ activated.  Pd uses 1000% CPU load,
and stutters during rendering, but audio and video remain in sync.

I have the [gemwin] at 720x576 25fps, for PAL DVD rendering.

Then simply encode the TIFF files with your video software - I have a
longwinded process that works with the following free tools:

for video:

convert
manypngtoppm [1]
ppmtoy4m
y4mscaler (because ppmtoy4m is crap at chroma subsampling)
mpeg2enc

for audio:

audacity (to trim to exact length, normalize volume, etc)
twolame

then:

mplex

and finally:

dvdauthor
mkisofs
growisofs

> *not* necessarily involving having Gem
> itself create a file?

maybe recordmydesktop - but I seem to recall it supports only Ogg codecs...

BTW, I'm on Linux, but the above tools might work on OS X too.

Claude

[1] converts multiple pngs into one ppm stream

https://devel.goto10.org/filedetails.php?repname=maximus&path=%2Fmanypngtoppm%2Fmanypngtoppm.c&rev=0&sc=0

--
http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org