[PD] [key] vs symbolatom [Was: Re: Letter -> Number]

David F. Place d at vidplace.com
Wed Feb 13 16:36:21 CET 2008

On Feb 13, 2008, at 4:52 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> just in case, you didn't know the objectclass, there is a objectclass
> [key], which outputs a number, whenever a key is pressd. since you
> want
> to press only single keys, having to press enter after each keypress
> could be a pain.

I use [key] to implement simple controls for my program.  I also use
symbolatom to accept alphanumeric input.  These two uses often clash
however.  If I want to enter a string that contains one of my command
letters the command is triggered.  I would prefer that keystrokes are
not sent to [key] when a symbolatom is selected for input.  Does
anyone agree?

David F. Place
mailto:d at vidplace.com