[PD] Saving Gem output as video file on MacOSX ?

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Thu Feb 14 03:03:02 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 09:39:40PM +0100, cyrille henry wrote:
> marius schebella a écrit :
> >another way to record your performances is to mirror your display and
> >feed the output with a dv camera or some other device.
> this will limit the quality.
>
> >recording your actions is brilliant but a lot of effort during patching.
>
> in fact, not so much effort.
> specially if you use this abstractions.
> you just have to insert a [rec_play_any data_name] on every connections you
> need to record.
> then the [master_rec_play] allow you to record everything in a qlist, and
> play it latter in order to record sound/images.
>

> this is known to gives good result.
>
> the single magic line i use to create a movie is :
>
> mencoder -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=256:aq=0  -audiofile rec_.wav -fps
> 50 -ss 0 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=5000 -vop scale=640:480  mf://*.jpg
> -o out.avi

[plug]

The s-abstractions collection also contains a couple of friendly GOP
helper abstractions (called 'total recall') for doing this:

<http://mccormick.cx/viewcvs/*checkout*/s-abstractions/s-totalrecall-help.pd?root=svn>
<http://mccormick.cx/viewcvs/*checkout*/s-abstractions/s-totalrecall.pd?root=svn>
<http://mccormick.cx/viewcvs/*checkout*/s-abstractions/s-tr-node.pd?root=svn>

My mencoder script for converting jpg + mp3 to video is attached [and
works in Debian Etch]. This will render a perfectly synchronised video
for you at the exact framerate of Gem - usually 20fps I think.

I made this video with that:
<http://archive.org/details/Ergates/>

[/plug]

Best,