[PD] [OT] FOSS audio tools

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Thu Feb 14 10:56:48 CET 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 19:03 +0100, Pablo Martin wrote:
> Frank Barknecht escribió:
> > Hallo,
> > Roman Haefeli hat gesagt: // Roman Haefeli wrote:
> >

> > Uhm, while Blender certainly is great, you aren't seriously trying to
> > tell me you really think its shortcuts are intuitive, are you?!? ;-)
> > Someone who mastered Blender should have no problems with Ardour,
> > given he invests about a tenth of the time to learn it.
> >

> Maybe mastering it will take less time that blender (as blender has so
> many features), but i *really* think it's easier to get used to blender
> initially (s, g, r, tab ;)). Not that it matters that much... It's
> probably a matter of field of interest, but still, as a simple tool,
> mostly everyone i know and cares a little can use blender to a certain
> degree (for making small vj videos, or simple props for games), while
> they can't use ardour (even though some would really like to learn).
>
> Note i don't have anything special against ardour :), but your remark
> deserved some kind of action ;).
>
> Also, i don't imply that blender is perfect in the usability field at
> all of course.
>
> Anyways, lets better forget this happened XD, dont want no holy
> usability war....

me neither. and it was also not my point in comparing blender and ardour
in terms of usability, initially. my point was to be appreciative for
the makers of elephants dreams decision to use non-free audio software.
i highly appreciate softwares like ardour and puredata, but those don't
cover everything one needs to do in the field of audio (yet and in my
personal opinion, at least).

yo, but i shut up now and hope i can come to LAC next year and hopefully
see what cool projects people do by using FOSS tools.

roman