[PD] [OT] FOSS audio tools

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Feb 14 15:33:07 CET 2008

Hallo,
Pablo Martin hat gesagt: // Pablo Martin wrote:

> Maybe mastering it will take less time that blender (as blender has so
> many features), but i *really* think it's easier to get used to blender
> initially (s, g, r, tab ;)). Not that it matters that much... It's
> probably a matter of field of interest, but still, as a simple tool,
> mostly everyone i know and cares a little can use blender to a certain
> degree (for making small vj videos, or simple props for games), while
> they can't use ardour (even though some would really like to learn).

I think, it's really a field of interest matter mostly. Blender has
much more functionality to present than Ardour, which is natural for
the tasks they are targetting. Ardour is just about recording, editing
and playing back audio, while Blender is a modeller, animator,
renderer and much more. This also becomes obvious by simply comparing
shortcut cheat sheets of both:

http://ardour.org/files/manual/sn-mouse-and-keyboard-bindings.html
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Hot_Keys

Basic recording and editing in Ardour can be realised almost without
using the keyboard at all:
http://ardour.org/files/manual/sn-user-interface-conventions.html The
biggest trouble is getting the audio routing right for the first time
and understanding tracks and busses, but when that is done everything
falls into place naturally (for audio people at least).

Anyway Pd beats both in simplicity by only requiring 6 special
keyboard shortcuts: Ctl-1,...,5 and Ctl-e ;)

Ciao