[PD] Writing file to folder on OSX

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 19:23:51 CET 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Si Mills <smills at rootsix.net> wrote:

> HI
>
> I can't seem to write a file into a folder using [writesf~]
>
> So when I click the [open -bytes 3 /audio/foo.wav( message,
> presumably  it should create a folder called "audio" with the file
> "foo.wav" in it?

Nope, the folder has to be there first. Creating a file that has a
non-existent path does NOT create the path.

> .....But it doesn't do anything.

Just as it should. There is no folder in which to write the file.

> Just doing [open -bytes 3 foo.wav(  works fine and creates "foo.wav"
> in the same directory as the patch.

This is normal, too.

> AM I misunderstanding this, or is it a bug?

While you can use some of the shell externals for Pd to create folders, Pd
itself won't create them.

I am not really sure about writesf~, but you should be getting an error
message back, because the file it is trying to work with does not exist,
because the full path does not exist.

Mike

> (on OS x 10.5.1, Pd 0.40.3-extended)
>
> thanks

Peace may sound simple—one beautiful word— but it requires everything we
have, every quality, every strength, every dream, every high ideal.
—Yehudi Menuhin (1916–1999), musician