[PD] interface wishlist

tim info at timvets.net
Sun Feb 17 18:01:34 CET 2008

Hello,
here's my current Pd GUI wishlist, things that could streamline my work
flow, things that don't seem logical to me...etc:

I wish:
-going in and out of edit mode was reflected by the cursor turning into
a hand or arrow immediately, not requiring the user to move it first,
who, if newbie, can get confused if he/she hasn't moved the mouse.
(this is the case on some versions I use in class, specifically
pd-extended OSX I think)
-shift-click-and-drag on a number box would also work after you already
clicked. Another idea: ctrl-click-drag to increment in steps of 10 or 100.
-home, end, shift+left/right, ctrl+left/right, ctrl+shift+left/right
would work within object boxes just like in a text editor.
-click+drag a single object or messagebox wouldn't automatically
activate text entry mode but the object itself stays the selection, so
that you can move it again or use arrow keys for repositioning without
having to deselect+reselect first.
-for a multiple connections facility, to connect all outlets of object a
to all inlets of object b, and variations on that. (I think max has had
this for a while, and maybe desiredata ?).
-'subpatcherize'
-that when deleting all text in a comment and clicking outside it, the
comment would be deleted, so that if you save the patch, close it, and
reopen it, there doesn't appear the word 'comment' everywhere you left a
'blank' comment this way. Alternatively it could become 'comment' upon
finalizing an empty comment, so that you can still see, select and
delete it.
-the file browser (openpanel/savepanel) would support keystrokes to
navigate: alt+up one dir up, tab to toggle focus between text entry and
graphical area (where folders and files are displayed)...etc
-opening the filebrowser wouldn't cause the Pd main window to pop in
front of all the patcher windows after it is closed.
-one object could be finalized by clicking the outlet of another object,
so that you can immediately connect it. The extra click outside the
object to finalize it first is unnecessary. When I click the outlet of
another object, it is obvious that I am done typing the name of the
current one.

Tim