[PD] is this a bug?

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 19:46:05 CET 2008

Hi,

In the attached patch, I try to dynamically create an object (in the example
an [s]) by sending a message to the canvas, and I want this object to have a
creation argument $1-foo1 or $1-foo2, etc... That is, the creation argument
of the object must contain a "$1" that must not be evaluated when creating
the object, plus some fixed part and a number that must be evaluated when
creating the object.
Then I create at the same time a second object that has a creation argument
that is just a clean $1 (not evaluated at creation time).

Look at the attached patch and click on the [3( message box.

Can anyone tell why the object on the left is created with creation argument
\$1-foo3
rather than $1-foo3, while the object on the right is created with creation
argument $1 (not \$1)?

Shouldn't the two behave the same way? (in my opinion like the one on the
right)

If I then save the patch and look at it as a text file, I see that the
object on the left is saved as \\\$1-foo3 with four slashes!!!

If I then open the patch I saved, it looks fine ([s $1-foo3] with no slash)
and if I re-save it the 3 extra slashes are eliminated.

I have often come across similar situations in which either the dollar
argument is evaluated or too many slashes are added, but you can't obtain an
unevaluated dollar argument with no slashes (i.e. internally only one
slash).

If this is by design, I really don't understand it.