[PD] pd/gem as vj mixer at win (Vadim Smahtin)

simon wise simonxwise at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 19 17:27:59 CET 2008

On 19 Feb 2008, at 6:46 PM, tim wrote:

> simon wise wrote:

>>> Hi Sergi,
>>>
>>> I've done stuff with two gemwins by running pd 2 times and have
>>> the two
>>> instances communicate over OSC.
>>> It worked quite well.
>>
>> a while ago there was a multiple-Gemwin version of Gem around - I
>> tried out the binary that was available and it worked fine (I
>> think on OSX but possibly Linux?) but I used the 2 pd method
>> instead for my project.
>>
>> I don't know if it is possible for one pd to use textures or
>> buffers created in the other, that would make the preview idea
>> work well with two pd instances.
> My idea was rather to simply sync the messages so that the same
> video file is loaded by the two pd's separately.
> I wasn't using any texturing with this setup though, so I don't
> know if it would work.
>> Soon I want to try 2 camera views of the same 3D space, I think
>> that would be much easier in a single instance of pd with two
>> windows!
> Load the same 3D space in the two pd's and relate the control data
> in some way ?

without textures and lots of pix work this is fine - but I'm wanting
to use plenty of movies and largish graphics as textures, which would
be present from a different point of view in each of the windows.

It would be better to only read from the drive once, then decode
using the CPU a single time, and to only transfer one copy to the
graphics card - so it seems either 2 windows in a single pd or a way
to pass references to textures already loaded between 2 different
pd's is what I'm looking for, but I'll fall back on one machine per
projector if required.

simon