[PD] the behaviour of [list length] has changed!!

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 20:00:55 CET 2008

Frank wrote

>> 2 - the documentation (help patch) is unchanged, and there is no
>> ambiguity in it: it describes the old behaviour.
>
> You may have a different help patch than I: Mine doesn't describe this
> issue at all.

You have to look inside the [pd length] subpatch. It says:
  "The "list length" object outputs the number
   of arguments in a list or other message."

Though it is not very very explicit, it does describe the old behaviour
strictly speaking.

I am not good at writing help-prose, otherwise I would post a corrected
version.
A possibility may be something like:

"The 'list length' object outputs the number of items in a list. Non-list
messages are automatically converted to list before computation".

But I'm sure anyone can come up with something better.

Btw sorry again for posting the message without searching the archive.

bye
m.