[PD] [gem-cvs] crashes xorg/ati..

dmotd dmotd at gmx.net
Sat Feb 23 17:08:21 CET 2008

hey ben..

   good theory, unfortunately everything seems in order
   (/usr/lib/libGL.so* is correctly linked to the ati libs]
   i have now tried every possible method to correct the
   problem, including updating my compiler, the wide world
   of google leads nowhere..

   i'm beginning to suspect faulty hardware.. i don't have
   many other GL based apps to test against, just the
   standard mesa afair and they all work fine, and gem works
   against the mesa libs, of course i'm reliant on hardware
   rendering for this particular project..

   all i can do now is strongly advise folks against
   purchasing anything [amd]/ati when using linux. besides
   the pitfalls of irregular driver updates and next to no
   GPL contributions, ati gear is horrible to configure, has
   many issues with standard function calls, relies heavily
   on kernel ABI stability *which linux will never fulfil*
   and due to such issues will never run on a patched kernel
   (i.e realtime-preempt)..

   this machine was a donation and now apart from a
   glamorous jukebox (pd audio is AOK!) and email platform
   is more or less useless for the work i have done
   previously.. so yeah, all i can suggest is get gear with
   an nvidia or intel video chipset (as much as intel are a
   bit behind in the 3d stakes, they have been glorious
   contributors to open development and their hardware is
   quite stable and usable, i'm no gamer tho..).

   language warning: AMD/ATI can go fuck themselves and i
   won't take part in any of their developments in the near
   future.. hopefully the have a wonderful life in this ugly
   vista world.. please plant a nice nvidia card into an old
   machine and have some fun, modern computing is about
   pleasing the right folks at silicone valley.. screw the
   lot of them, i'm making 3d with clay..

   cheers pd crew, you folks rock.

   love,

dmotd..