[PD] can't see objects Pd-0.40.3-extended-20071230-windowsxp-i386.exe

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Feb 25 04:49:09 CET 2008

Martin Peach <martin.peach <at> sympatico.ca> writes:
 > Martin Peach wrote:
 > >     can't read "box_outline": no such variable
 > >     can't read "msg_nlet": no such variable
 > >     can't read "msg_nlet": no such variable
 > >     can't read "msg_nlet": no such variable
 > >     can't read "text_color": no such variable
 > >     can't read "cursor_runmode_nothing": no such variable
 > >

 > I checked it on linux and it seems the only difference between the
 > windows and linux versions is that the variables that are set in
pd.tk
 > and referenced from pd via sys_vgui() aren't being found, so nothing
 > gets drawn on the canvas.
 >
 > Martin

Ok, got a bit closer on this one, finally.  It seems that all of the
code is the same up thru tcl_mess() in t_tkcmd.c.  Once the tcl data
from sys_vgui() is sent to the tcl process and chopped up into
distinct commands, tcl_mess() is used to send the command to the Tcl
process ("tk_pdinterp" is the tcl process, "s" is the command):

     result = Tcl_Eval(tk_pdinterp,  s);

I tried to print out "s" here, but I couldn't get it to show up.  It
seems that stderr is a bit strange on Windows.  My hunch is that
something on Windows is eating the "$", and therefore causing this
problem.

Anyone know a way to get this to show up on the Windows console:

     fprintf(stderr, "tcl_mess: %s\n", ms);

----

publicity.          - Bill Moyers