[PD] can't see objects Pd-0.40.3-extended-20071230-windowsxp-i386.exe

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Feb 25 06:26:31 CET 2008

On Feb 24, 2008, at 11:36 PM, Martin Peach wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> Ok, got a bit closer on this one, finally.  It seems that all of
>> the  code is the same up thru tcl_mess() in t_tkcmd.c.  Once the
>> tcl data  from sys_vgui() is sent to the tcl process and chopped
>> up into  distinct commands, tcl_mess() is used to send the command
>> to the Tcl  process ("tk_pdinterp" is the tcl process, "s" is the
>> command):
>>      result = Tcl_Eval(tk_pdinterp,  s);
>> I tried to print out "s" here, but I couldn't get it to show up.
>> It  seems that stderr is a bit strange on Windows.  My hunch is
>> that  something on Windows is eating the "$", and therefore
>> causing this  problem.
>> Anyone know a way to get this to show up on the Windows console:
>>      fprintf(stderr, "tcl_mess: %s\n", ms);
>
> Try running pd from a .bat file.
> Or fprint(stdout... instead.

Using fprint(stdout... in the msys bash shell worked.  It did not
work in the CMD.EXE shell window, nothing shows up.   Plus fprint
(stderr... doesn't seem to work anywhere. Arg, Windows is a pain...

So now, printing out the Tcl commands shows the "$" in "$text_color",
etc. intact, so I guess it's dropping it in Tcl-space...  on that
note, I'm going to bed.   Any ideas?

----

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams