[PD] synchronised video outputs

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 16:20:31 CET 2008

I am also working on a project like this (with thomas grill, who solved
many problems before I even thought of them...). in principle
synchronisation works fine.
now your may ask why do other people pay so much money for expensive
hardware?
the problem lies in details: first resolution: for some cases you want
to go with the highest available resolution 1080p (and in the future
even more), and suddenly you will see small appearance of jitter, mostly
because quicktime is different inside a quicktime player and outside
quicktime, also because in most cases you have to convert color formats.
then, compensating a drift without losing frames is very tricky.
from my experience so far, Pd solutions only work up to 720p and only if
you use a drift compensating algorithm - sending a bang for every frame
over the network always causes jitter (although you may not notice).
It is no big effort to try a pd version and see if you are happy with it.
marius.