[PD] synchronised video outputs

simon wise simonxwise at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 26 06:04:46 CET 2008

On 26 Feb 2008, at 6:15 AM, enrique franco wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> Where Can we see the video patches you talk about? I´m very
> interested.

I'm very busy till the weekend, I'll gather them up and post them
after that. I'll give a URL to the list when I've done it.

and yes - it isn't a perfect solution, there will be some jitter due
to the LAN so it isn't as nice as proper time syncing would be, but
since the frame-rate is usually 40ms that jitter is impossible to
notice in almost all circumstances, and since actual frame-numbers
are sent then there is no slippage or getting out of sync over time.
I've used it with 5-projector wide images with fast movement across
them.

The biggest challenge is always getting the codec right for the
circumstances, issues like whether the original was interlaced can be
tricky. I find the results always better than DVDs which where often
the more expensive alternative.

The system has been especially useful to me when I've needed to
present a sequence with different formats, possibly with still
images, when I've wanted to be able to cue things manually, and when
lots of keystoning or colour correction was needed to line things up.

simon