[PD] Pduino and the AD5206 digital potentiometer

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 14:55:43 CET 2008

nick burge wrote:
> Dear PD list.  I would like to be able to control the AD5206 chip (a 6
> channel digital potentiometer) from within the Pduino object written by
> Hans-Christoph Steiner.

I don't think this is possible.

> The idea comes from one of the tutorial
> exercises in the C++ arduino program.
> http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/SPIDigitalPot

this tutorial says "Instructions are sent as 11 bit operational codes
(opcodes) with the three most significant bits (11-9) defining the
address of which potentiometer to adjust and the eight least significant
bits (8-1) defining what value to set that potentiometer to from 0-255."
and that is a format different to how pduino works.
you can however still use pd to control the chip, but need your own
arduino code. on the arduino side you can use something similar to the
example code on the page, but add serial connection.
build the pd patch around the comport object.

> Is this relatively simple to do, or simply impossible? The aim in the
> long run is to be able to be able to calibrate  6 force sensors remotely
> using the digital potentiometers for an art installation project.
> I have got the above mentioned tutorial project up and running
> succesfully using the arduino program, and I am also able to get Pduino
> communicating with the arduino quite happily on my Windows Vista system,
> but I would imagine to have control over the the digital potentiometer
> device from within PD would require a revision to the Firmata firmware
> would it not? I would be most grateful for a clue.

otoh, with the arduino diecimila you have 6 analog (pwm) outs. you could
use these to control your installation (motors, or whatever you have)
directly from the arduino.

marius.