[PD] [OT] mini-ITX again

David Merrill dmerrill at media.mit.edu
Wed Feb 27 16:45:14 CET 2008

Hi Derek -
One quick hint that I've found in working on the audiopint project
(audiopint.org) is that the audio chipsets on mini-itx boards do not
tend to be very high quality - specifically, they are noisy - you can
hear memory access, and other capacitive coupling from traces on the
motherboard. So I always use a iMic USB audio interface when I build
up an audiopint - any good-rated USB audio interface that's linux-
compatible should do, since it will isolate the motherboard noise
from your analog signals.
-David M.

On Feb 27, 2008, at 10:12 AM, Derek Holzer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm back on my Mini-ITX research, hoping to use one for an upcoming PD
> installation as well as a live performance box. But what I'm
> missing is
> some kind of comparison of price vs functionality here. As well as
> some
> overview of which CPUs and chipsets are good for audio and Linux and
> which ones are not. Can anyone make a recommendation for a Mini-ITX
> system with a good processor which has proven usable for fairly
> complex
> PD patching with Linux, or point in the direction of a good online
> resource for this kind of info?
>
> thx + best!
> d.
>
> --