[PD] [OT] mini-ITX again

David Merrill dmerrill at media.mit.edu
Wed Feb 27 17:30:03 CET 2008

Hi Derek -
The fan is pretty quiet, so I wouldn't worry about fan noise in your
equation.. With respect to which EPIA board - I have been happy with
the performance of all of the ones I've used, but I wasn't doing
particularly compute-heavy operations most of the time. For instance,
I have a voice recorder/sampler/looper application that serves 4
people at the same time from a single EPIA board, and has no trouble
(on either the 1.5Ghz board, the 1.2, or a 1.0) - but when I tried to
run two instances of PD that were each doing multiple partitioned
convolutions (I think 8 partconv~ objects in each patch) it started
to have trouble on the 1.0 board. In general, linux and PD run well
on the VIA boards. If you want to do any graphics though, you will
absolutely need to install the VIA-specific graphics drivers,
otherwise it runs really clunky. Actually, for whatever you're doing,
using the VIA drivers is probably a good idea, to get the maximum HW
utilization.
-David

On Feb 27, 2008, at 11:20 AM, Derek Holzer wrote:

> @ David:
>
> a Delta is approx EUR 160, not too much more than 4 iMics over here.
>
> Would you recommend the EPIA EN 15000G C7 over the EPIA MII 12000G
> 1.2Ghz? Or maybe the EPIA EN 12000G Fanless C7 if I want to go fanless
> with the same CPU speed? How loud is the fan on the EN board you
> used in
> the Audiopint? And most important, how much PD can you squeeze out
> of it?
>
> @ Olme:
>
> thanks for the suggestion, but 500 MHz is waaaaaayyyyyyy too slow ;-)
>
> thx + best!
> d.
>

> --
> derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl ::: http://blog.myspace.com/