[PD] ann_som users

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Wed Feb 27 22:59:13 CET 2008

Hi,

On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 15:26 -0800, B. Bogart wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I just wanted to get a sense of the ann_som users out there.
>
> I would like to make some changes/additions, in particular:
>
> * Gaussian neighbourhood function to increase convergence with many sensors.
>
> * built in function for randomizing sensors (my network has about 4
> million weights, which is pretty anoying to use "init" for.)
>
> Maybe more as things move along.

Nice to see someone working on this. I haven't used [ann_som] in
earnest, but I have used [ann_mlp], which is great, and am generally
interested in the progress of AI things in Pd.

One thing it might be worth looking at is the SOM and Growing Neural Gas
support that was added to the FANN library as part of GSoC last year.
There is some discussion about it on this thread:

http://leenissen.dk/fann/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46&start=30

The code is also the FANN CVS under the gsoc2007 branch. I did get it to
compile at one point but I haven't really tested. It may be in some way
informative ?

Anyhow, I look forward to the [ann_som] improvements.

Jamie

--
www.postlude.co.uk