[PD] Fwd: Simple tutorial on using Lua with PD

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 01:17:20 CET 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mike McGonagle <mjmogo at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 6:15 PM
Subject: Re: [PD] Simple tutorial on using Lua with PD
To: Claude Heiland-Allen <claudiusmaximus at goto10.org>

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 5:37 PM, Claude Heiland-Allen <
claudiusmaximus at goto10.org> wrote:

> Mike McGonagle wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Over the weekend, I was trying to figure out how Lua works with PD.
> > While I have everything installed from the extended stuff, I still can't
> > quite figure out where to begin.
>
> The examples should be clear enough I hope, if you have any specific
> questions about a specific example then please ask :-)

Well, I guess what is troubling me is that we I try to run the "lua-help.pd",
and click on the [load hello( message, it produces the following:

error: lua: error in dispatcher:
[string "pd.lua"]:226: attempt to index local 'atoms' (a nil value)

And then I tried the "luax-help.pd" file, and everything appears to work
fine.

I guess my troubles seem to stem from "where should everything go, and what
is the difference between 'lua' and 'luax'"?

> > Is there some sort of README, or something, that explains how to work
> > with "pdlua"? I did try to run the help file that is in the
> > distribution, but when I clicked on the [load hello( message, it
> > complained about not being able to find some 'atom'.
>
> That bug is already fixed in my SVN repository, thanks to robc for
> spotting it (iirc):
>
> svn co https://devel.goto10.org/svn/maximus/pdlua pdlua

So, is your SVN different from the one that Pure Data is using? I downloaded
the latest version this morning at about 11:30am Central time.

> Best place to start is reading through the examples, but there is some
> documentation too, and also the source code for details.

Could you explain some things about how Lua uses the search paths? And where
we should be putting our files?

Also, is there some documentation about what things are provided by 'pd.lua'?
Or is all that stuff just what is needed to get things loaded and running
(ie, no user accessible methods).

> I don't use pd-extended so I don't know how much of pdlua is included,
> also it would be nice for pd-extended to use svn:external or whatever
> the mechanism is for tracking other repositories, maybe the stable
> releases could use my stable releases and maybe the autobuilds could use
> the development svn version.

Any links to where I can get your latest?

Mike

--
Peace may sound simple—one beautiful word— but it requires everything we
have, every quality, every strength, every dream, every high ideal.