[PD] Google SoC: call for mentors and project ideas

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Tue Mar 4 14:21:47 CET 2008

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 22:25:02 -0500
Chris McCormick <chris at mccormick.cx> wrote:

> > On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 14:30:20 +0100
> > Georg Holzmann <grh at mur.at> wrote:
> > > We discussed at the LAC that we would like to apply again this year for
> > > google's summer of code project, which is about to start today
> > > (http://code.google.com/soc/2008/).
>
> On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 01:41:00PM +0000, Andy Farnell wrote:
> > I'd be happy to join any team that has a games+audio+Pd proposal
> > as a mentor.
>
> I have added this:
> <http://puredata.info/dev/summer-of-code/LibPd>
>
> Which is my proposal to make it easier to compile the audio-engine part
> of Pd as a library and link it into your own projects. This has been
> asked about numerous times on the list, almost always to do with games
> related projects, and we all know that it's happening already in Spore.

Mark Danks left me with the impression that EA found it rather easy
and that, far from being trivial, there were no weird hiccups.

> Also, this could really help with some of the other SOC projects like
> PluggoPd, PdVST, etc. so it's highly re-useable.
>
> The only problem here is the confusing name; there is already a PdLib
> project, which in my opinion should be called 'PdExternals' or something,
> but LibPd seems a very appropriate name for a project for using Pd as
> a library.

libpd is perfect

> I guess I'm happy to mentor this but Andy is probably a better candidate
> than me if he's interested! Or we could co-mentor - whatevs.

You've written the proposal and librification (sorry I couldn't help making
up that word) isn't exactly a strong point for me. Neither is cross
platform thinking. And if this were a project I'd like to see
it done well. If I can support you Chris of course I will.

I'm glad we already have one student interersted, this is an important step
for Pd imho.

--
Use the source