[PD] parallel processing

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 17:14:25 CET 2008

hi,
I am reading an old interview with james moorer (with curtis roads in
CMJ/6 1982). one funny thing is that he says, 'software synthesis is
either dead or dying[...] I am hoping it's demise will be quick and
relatively painless.'
in return he predicted all computation being done on special dsp chips.
in part he was right, but on the other hand the main cpu got more than
fast enough to survive (gfx is slightly different), but - and I am
coming to my point - he also was thinking about hundreds or thousands of
parallel processing elements. right now, we are going to have several
and in the future many many parallel CPUs, and the need for parallel
processing is back. miller was talking about that in montreal.
so I wonder how pd will survive that evolution? afaik the current
situation is poor in this regard. can anyone give an outview for the
future? would it be a jump from pd (I) 0.43 to pd II 0.1?
marius.