[PD] parallel processing

Brandon Zeeb bsoisoi at mac.com
Tue Mar 4 20:21:33 CET 2008

More specifically, my question is:

How does PD's performance scale when the number of available
processing units increases from 2 to 4 and to 8 cores?  Is the main
engine written in such a way as to take advantage of this, or is it
primarily a single-threaded?

Possible scenarios could be:
1.  I have a patch with 8 very intense sub patches.  Do all of these
sub-patches  run on the same core or are they spread out across
available processors?

2. Assume I have an 8 CPU system (dual quad opterons etc). I have 8
patches open within one Pd instance, do all 8 patches run on the same
core or 2, or do they spread out across all the available 8 cores?

Besides running multiple copies of Pd, how does Pd scale on many-cpu
systems?

Cheers,
~Brandon