[PD] parallel processing

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Mar 4 22:02:45 CET 2008

Hallo,
marius schebella hat gesagt: // marius schebella wrote:

> isn't the problem of pd right now, that the audio chain can't be chopped
> into different threads?
> if the pd audio chain would support threads for every object, would it
> be as easy as to add a (or some) line(s) of code for every dsp object?

There was an interesting talk about this on the LAC last weekend. It was
at the same time as Miller's workshop, so I would recommend to check out
the paper: "Exploiting Multi-Core Architectures for Fast Modular
Synthesis" by Jürgen Reuter

  Recently, CPU speed increases only slowly, while the number of
  transistors per chip keeps growing exponentially. Consequently,
  processors with multi-core architectures are pervading the market.
  Unfortunately, most existing software still can not exploit the
  parallelism. Since modular software synthesis implementations
  typically simulate parallel hardware, they are designated to run on
  parallel hardware. We examine different approaches for parallelization
  of a modular software synthesizer and discuss their advantages and
  disadvantages with respect to both the performance gain and the impact
  on the software architecture.

Paper: http://lac.linuxaudio.org/download/papers/8.pdf
Slides: http://lac.linuxaudio.org/download/slides/8/

--