[PD] For Frank, question on 'sssad'

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Mar 5 22:48:47 CET 2008

Hallo,
Mike McGonagle hat gesagt: // Mike McGonagle wrote:

> After the conference, Hans had suggested something that might be of some
> good use. He had mentioned that there are two "backends" for storing data
> using 'sssad', one using [textfile] and the other using [pool]. Hans had
> suggested that we create a similar function for the SQL library that we are
> currently working on.

Actually sssad doesn't have any backend as such, it just provides a pair
of sender and receiver and some infrastructure to eavesdrop and
manipulate state changes through these. The actual saving is left as an
excercise for the patcher. ;) Chris McCormick's s-abstractions have some
readymade savers, though.

> I am curious as to how 'sssad' works, as the version that I have (with the
> extended stuff) doesn't seem to load up correctly. If I go into all
> instances of [sssad] and prepend it with the folder name [sssad/sssad]
> everything works. I am just a bit hesitant to do anything, as I am working
> with a 'broken' copy, and wanted to make sure it was correct. Is there a
> version that you have that I could try out? Or should I just take the
> version from the extended distro and "fudge" them?

Nothing special here: I generally prefer to use just [sssad], that is,
put the path to sssad.pd into the pd search path. [sssad] is just one
abstraction (and some private helper abstractions in a hidden
subdirectory) so I never bothered with namespaces. However pd-extended
installs it into a subdirectory that pd-extended calls "sssad", so
there, [sssad/sssad] also works, it's just a bit verbose and redundant.
As I don't use pd-extended I cannot really comment on that, though.

Ciao
--
Frank Barknecht