[PD] [OT]TTS

Bryan Jurish moocow at ling.uni-potsdam.de
Thu Mar 6 21:46:09 CET 2008

moin Reinhard,

I don't really know of any open source German TTS systen (although way
back when, someone appears to have hacked some German Holmes-elements
into rsynth -- not sure of the status of that code; best to ask rsynth's
maintainer (Nick Ing-Simmons) if you want to go that route, which I
suspect you probably don't), so...

"free-as-in-free-beer" systems, yes: check out HADIFIX and the 'txt2pho'
program from (I believe) the Universität Bonn, for use with MBROLA (free
for non-commercial and non-military use).

There's also an add-on module for the free, open-source festival TTS
system.  The German add-on itself is available under an MBROLA-like
license from the IMS Stuttgart.  Warning here: I've never actually
gotten the whole ims-german-festival package to compile under current
versions of festival: I think the project ran out of money and no one's
been maintaining that code for several years now -- you may have better
luck with an older version of festival itself and/or more scheme hacking
than I was prepared to do ;-)

You might also checkout BOSS (also from Uni Bonn), which I've never
looked at, but is the successor system to HADIFIX.  BOSS itself is
supposed to be open source, but the voices and language models are
(unfortunately) still proprietary, AFAIK.

Please let me know if you manage to dig up anything better!

marmosets,
	Bryan

Some URLs:

rsynth:
ftp://svr-ftp.eng.cam.ac.uk/pub/comp.speech/synthesis/rsynth-2.0.tar.gz

festival:
http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival

HADIFIX/txt2pho:
http://www.ikp.uni-bonn.de/dt/forsch/phonetik/hadifix/HADIFIXforMBROLA.html

BOSS:
http://www.ikp.uni-bonn.de/dt/forsch/phonetik/boss/index.html

MBROLA:
http://tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis/mbrola.html

Comparison of TTS Systems for German:
http://www.8hertz.com/tts/tts.html

On 2008-03-06 20:40:00, Reinhard Handl <rfh at atnet.at> appears to have
written:

--
Bryan Jurish                           "There is *always* one more bug."
jurish at ling.uni-potsdam.de      -Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology