[PD] Lua and PD

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Mar 7 01:58:27 CET 2008

On Mar 6, 2008, at 8:30 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> marius schebella hat gesagt: // marius schebella wrote:
>
>> me too, really excited to see lua signal processing in pd. since
>> graham
>> wakefield is involved I guess it will be similar to the max version?
>
> Yes, it's practically the same objectclass. For now it's called
> [vessel~] instead of [lua~] but that might change.
>
>> are you planning a native texteditor support from within pd.
>> I saw texteditors that pop up when you double cklick an object for
>> example for the cyclone coll object. something like this (... syntax
>> highlighting???).
>
> I won't do this: The tk-editor is not very usable and other
> editor widgets would add dependencies I'd like to avoid. Most people
> will want to use their favourite editor anyway.
>
> Maybe it's possible to use os.execute() in scripts on your own to
> start an editor, but it also may introduce platform issues.
>
>> auto updating of scripts when they are changed and saved would be
>> nice, too.
>
> That could be useful, but it's not high on my todo list for now.
>
> Ciao

It seems to me that the ideal would be to have access to the Pd DSP
API in pdlua, then you can just write tilde objects in lua.  I don't
really know how hard that would be.

----

"It is convenient to imagine a power beyond us because that means we
don't have to examine our own lives.", from "The Idols of
Environmentalism", by Curtis White