[PD] Saving Gem output as video file on MacOSX ?

Dudley Brooks dbrooks at runforyourlife.org
Fri Mar 7 10:27:28 CET 2008

jeremaja niko wrote:

 > im using on mac program called "snapz pro x" and it is a screen
 > capture program, witch can grab opengl window of gem as movie. this
 > process needs a lot of cpu power so u need a powerfull machine. it is
 > quite easy to use it.
 > hope it helps

It did indeed!  Thanks!  It was the only thing that finally let me get
my DVD made -- with just an hour and a half to spare!  The other three
methods (pix_record, pdp_rec~, and pix_write) had the various problems
mentioned in this thread.  Synchronizing the sound with the video was
hard also.  (The nature of the sound made it hard to find clear
landmarks for sliding the sound into alignment, and yet it was still
obvious when watching that they weren't in synch.  But with Snapz they
were in synch to begin with.)

I also found that pix_record not only gets the colors wrong, but seems
to rotate the picture 90 degrees and reverse it as well.  (The abstract
nature of the piece is why that wasn't obvious immediately.)  But how
can it be that pix_record does this, and especially that people haven't
noticed and complained?  Or fixed, those who know how?  (Not me, I'm
afraid.)  Incompatibility between how the various video cards label
screen directions and RGB colors?

-- Dudley