[PD] Pd sounds better than Max?

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Fri Mar 7 11:23:29 CET 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 01:28 +0000, Damian Stewart wrote:
> hey,
>
> i was talking to a Portuguese musician tonight (Miguel Cardoso is his name)
> and he was saying that he thought that Pd sounded much better than Max - a
> fuller sound with the oscillators, he said.
>
> i hadn't really thought about this before, but i do know that to my ears my
> Pd patches sound a lot richer than most Max/MSP stuff that I've heard - not
> sure whether that's my source material or patches or whether it's at a
> deeper architectural level than that.
>
> anyone have any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, to confirm this? reasons
> why this might be the case?

hey funny... i also heard people saying something similar the other way
around.

since the same digital algorithm produces the same results on two
different machines or in two different softwares, i think there are only
very esoteric reasons to believe, that one sounds 'fuller' (what does it
mean technically?) or 'richer' (more harmonics?) than the other. for me
this goes to a similar direction as the discussion, if oxygen free,
golden plated 8mm-diammeter speaker cables sound better than others (i
would rather suspect a difference there than between max and pd).

hm.. thinking more about that, i wonder whether this guy thinks, that pd
people do just different, probably subjectively better sounding stuff.
or does he really think, that [phasor~] in pd sounds nicer than the
[phasor~] in max? this would be actually quite easy to test, if there is
any difference at all. create a wav with same frequency and phase of a
[phasor~], once in pd, once in max, and then subtract the one from the
other and if you do not get a completely silent file,
then...............  *i shut up*      ;-)

roman