[PD] vbap define_loudspeakers messages

robcanning robcanning at eircom.net
Fri Mar 7 18:55:35 CET 2008

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2008, at 9:20 AM, robcanning wrote:
>
>> Derek Holzer wrote:
>>> On another note, something I've never liked about vbap is this "hole
>>> in the middle" problem. Pan a sound from left to right through the
>>> middle of your "room", rather than around the edge of the circle. Hear
>>> how everything jumps from left to right when you cross the zero point
>>> at the middle? That's the part I hate. I guess it's the inherent
>>> problem with cartesian vs polar coordinate systems.
>>>
>>> best,
>>> d.
>>>
>> i wonder are there any ports of any of these objects around
>> http://www.maxobjects.com/?request=surround
>>
>> vbapan~ seems to allow either cartesian or polar coordinate systems
>>

> They are listed there as pd extenrals also, try it out.  If there is
> source, it's usually pretty easy to port Max externals to Pd.  There
> are some ambi ones there too.
>
> http://www.maxobjects.com/?v=libraries&id_library=116&requested=surround&operateur=&id_plateforme=
>

> There are also ambisonic externals from IEM and Jasch, for better
> spatialization.

great! i didn't realise this stuff was there ... easy to get lost when
there are just so many externals!

I'll have a look at this stuff.

Maybe a Spatialisation with Pure-Data page would be nice - is there
something like that out there already? a  web page, academic papers,
performance documentation, patches??

many thanks

rob c