[PD] Saving Gem output as video file on MacOSX ?

Dudley Brooks dbrooks at runforyourlife.org
Fri Mar 7 19:41:26 CET 2008

IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
 > Dudley Brooks wrote:
 >
 >> I also found that pix_record not only gets the colors wrong, but seems
 >> to rotate the picture 90 degrees and reverse it as well.  (The
 >> abstract nature of the piece is why that wasn't obvious immediately.)
 >> But how can it be that pix_record does this, and especially that
 >> people haven't noticed and complained?  Or fixed, those who know how?
 >> (Not me, I'm afraid.)  Incompatibility between how the various video
 >> cards label screen directions and RGB colors?
 >
 > in this i would suggest reporting the full version of Gem and where you
 > obtained it from. i couldn't find anything about the version of Gem
 > _you_ are actually using.

Sorry, I was writing long after midnight, after a frustrating day of
trying to get a good recording in time for a deadline.  It's 0.39-extended.

 > rotating the picture by 90° is _very_ unusual. did you mean 180°?

No, I *thought* it was rotated 90 degrees, because motion towards upper
right became towards lower right.  There was too much symmetry otherwise
to tell if this was a rotation or a flip.  When I made a patch today
explicitly to test it, it did just turn out to be flipped top-to-bottom,
which certainly makes sense in terms of what different systems do with
y.  Even my midnight-befuddled brain was didn't really believe that it
could swap x and y.

-- Dudley