[PD] Pd sounds better than Max?

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 03:14:36 CET 2008

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2008, at 7:33 PM, marius schebella wrote:
>
>> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>>> I think it is unlikely that there is a noticeable difference in
>>> double-blind testing.  I am sure that people hear differences
>>> between  them, but I am guessing that those differences are inside
>>> the brain,  rather than outside :).
>>
>> yes, that seems obvious to me too, but this discussion is about the
>> small chance, that there might be a difference in some small details
>> that effectively make a difference..
>>
>>> Also, consider that MSP started from Pd code.
>>
>> I thought pd came out later (1997) and was completely rewritten with
>> fundamental differences (esp. when it comes to fft and stuff like that).
>
> Max didn't have MSP until Pd came along, it was all about manipulating
> MIDI.  Check out the copyright splash screen, it says "portions based on
> Pd 1997-2005".

no, it says Pd and MSP are based on ideas in Max/FTS, an advanced DSP
platform (C) IRCAM.

I learned in school (but that was loooong ago in 1997) that miller wrote
max and max/fts at IRCAM in the mid 80s, max already had signal
processing in 1990. then he jumped off, david zicarelli sticked with the
existing code and developed msp and miller rewrote pd from scratch in
1996/97.

I think max/msp took also code from pd, but that was later.
marius.