[PD] Pd sounds better than Max?

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Sat Mar 8 19:35:07 CET 2008

I looked for some sounds that demonstrate the difference of oscillator
accuracy. All I could find are these two snips from tracks, but it's a
fair comparison because;

1) "Functions of Time" (1996) An all Csound composition.
http://www.obiwannabe.co.uk/sounds/FunctionsOfTime-track3.mp3

2) "Look Ma, No hands!" (2005) An all Pd composition.
http://www.obiwannabe.co.uk/sounds/Nohands-short.mp3

Both use the same patch (the undulating diffraction effect). It's
comparable because I translated the Csound version directly to Pd, both
are 64 oscillator banks and it's clear that the Csound one sparkles while
the Pd one sounds a bit muddy.

It would be good to do a Max vs Pd comparison of the same someday.

a.

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 21:02:00 -0500
marius schebella <marius.schebella at gmail.com> wrote:

> what I experience sometimes when I do very basic stuff like using
> phasors, is that I hear weird comb filtering of my environment after I
> put down my headphones. similar as if you look into bright light and
> then close the eyes, and you still see a review-image.
> regarding the difference between pd and max: are you talking about the
> music that people produce or are you talking about the digital signal
> process?
> m.
>
> Damian Stewart wrote:
> > hey,
> >
> > i was talking to a Portuguese musician tonight (Miguel Cardoso is his name)
> > and he was saying that he thought that Pd sounded much better than Max - a
> > fuller sound with the oscillators, he said.
> >
> > i hadn't really thought about this before, but i do know that to my ears my
> > Pd patches sound a lot richer than most Max/MSP stuff that I've heard - not
> > sure whether that's my source material or patches or whether it's at a
> > deeper architectural level than that.
> >
> > anyone have any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, to confirm this? reasons
> > why this might be the case?

Use the source