[PD] Pd sounds better than Max?

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Sun Mar 9 13:39:54 CET 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 21:25 +0000, Andy Farnell wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 16:08:45 -0500
> marius schebella <marius.schebella at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > > Hallo,

> > > Csound also is known as "CleanSound" in some circles.
> >
> > so why is then "pure" data not equally clean?
> > marius.
>

> Because it's optimised for real-time performance.
>
> Max/Pd strike a careful balance between for real-time capability.
> The amazing sound quality of Csound comes about because it was designed
> for offline rendering, and it got realtime by dint of increased CPU speeds.

sounds reasonable. however, i would be interested to have some
illustration of that. what is it, that makes the difference? i'd be most
interested to see examples on a rather low level (oscillators, ramp
generators etc). the code for both is open, so it should be feasible to
find some differences, if there are any.

basically, this means also, that it is not possible to generate any
intended signal with pd. is that true?

roman