[PD] Pd sounds better than Max?

matteo sisti sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 11:38:06 CET 2008

Hi,

I always blamed the sound card and/or headphones, as I have only done
this test on a laptop with a shitty integrated soundcard (and I
usually don't work with synthesis, nor with such refined processing to
require to care too much about subtleties)... but now I doubt.

The attached patch is simply an osc *~ed by a number and connected to
the dac i.e.:

[osc~ 500]

[*~ 0.05]
|\
[dac~]

with a slider ranging from 0 to 0.1 connected  to the right inlet of the *~.

Now, to my ear the sinusoid sounds ridiculously distorted, with really
very very audible harmonics.
Especially if I lower the amplitude to a value below 0.03, which is
still enough "loud" to be heared clearly. As I move the slider up and
down I can distinctly hear how the harmonic spectrum changes (apart
from the obvious clicks in the moment you move the slider).

As I mentioned, I always thought it was the hardware, since I can't
believe such an enormous distortion is the normal expected one due to
32 bit float precision...

Or is this the result of the issues that have been mentioned in this
thread (table size, linear interpolation)???

--
Matteo Sisti Sette
matteosistisette at gmail.com
http://www.matteosistisette.com