[PD] which version of pd do i have installed?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Mar 11 11:27:25 CET 2008

Roman Haefeli wrote:
> yo....
>
> this might sound silly (and you guys most likely don't care, what
> version _i_ have installed). however, the 'menu -> help -> About Pd'
> tells me:
>
> Pd version 0.40.3

for magical reasons this is usually correct.

> when i load [version] from hcs, it gives me:
>
> 0 41 0 test06 Dec  7 2007 03:24:18

version is actually broken in the implementation, as it reports the
version of Pd the object was _compiled_ against, not the one it is
running in.

this is done because it is easy to find out the version of pd at compile
time, but not so easy at runtime.

the likely argument is, that you should run pd-extended and use the
version in there, which will (hopefully) be compiled against the same
version as it is running in.

> when i load hexloader, which i just compiled, i get:
>
> hex loader $Revision: 1.5 $
>         written by IOhannes m zm�nig, IEM <zmoelnig at iem.at>
>         compiled on Mar 11 2008 at 11:03:15
>         compiled against Pd version 0.40.3.

again, this version-number tells you only the version of Pd the
hexloader was compiled against. it has nothing to do with the version of
Pd you are actually running.

> aaah, and now i realized, that there is simply 'pd -version', which also
> gives me:
>
> Pd version 0.40-3
> compiled 06:47:02 Nov 28 2007

this is the one that can be trusted most.

fmgas.dr
IOhannes