[PD] [almost OT] need suggestions for an implementation

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 21:50:53 CET 2008

Hi list,

I need to implement an object that I will call a "scheduler" (suggestions
for a better name are welcome too) which would be very similar to a [qlist]
(without the need for the capability of changing the tempo), with two
differences:
- the leading number in a message represents absolute time (since some
initial instant) rather than relative to the previous message
- you can [add( messages with a scheduled time that is not greater than all
previously added messages.

This basically means implementing a priority queue (doesn't it?).
Is a binary heap the most efficient structure (in inserting an element and
extracting the minimum) for implementing that?

I thought I'd dive into pdlua and use lua to implement such an object (I am
completely new to lua though)... would you suggest that or pyext and
implement it in python?
It seems python has standard heap functions in its library; does lua have
something equivalent or will I have to write the code for the priority
queue?

Would be interesting to know if anyone has ever run into the same necessity
and how you did it.

Thanks
m.