[PD] vowel recognition

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Tue Mar 11 23:25:20 CET 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 19:35 -0400, marius schebella wrote:
> hi,
> I wonder if anyone did vowel recognition with Pd. Maybe ed kelly? or
> brian j.?
> can it be based on fiddle~ or does it neeed more/other objects/technology?

You might be able to make a crude vowel recognition system using
[fiddle~] and [choice]. You could make some vowel profile vectors using
the sinusoidal components from the 5th output of fiddle~, and build a
database of vowel profiles in [choice], which can be matched to unknown
'candidate' vectors.

If you want to do it using a more sophisticated/conventional technique,
you should probably look at using MFCC or LPCC to create your feature
vector, combined with a classifier such as k-NN or neural network to do
the actual recognition. All of these things can be done in Pd with the
help of a few externals. My libxtract library supports both MFCC and
LPCC extraction and has a Pd implementation:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/libxtract

If you are going to use it, I would advise checking out the svn version
since it includes a number of bug fixes and new features.

best,

Jamie

--
www.postlude.co.uk