[PD] [almost OT] need suggestions for an implementation

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 18:55:21 CET 2008

Frank wrote:

> You could do that with the "textfile" and "pipe" solution as well. The
> order of lines in textfile doesn't matter, if you pipe them to "pipe".

Ohhhhhh, great! I didn't understand your proposed solution, until I had
another look at the [pipe] help, which I was convinced I knew, and was
convinced worked another way :$

So, it seems I don't even need any [textfile], just the pipe; and the way it
"wants" the time to be specified (relative to when you insert the message)
is just the way I want to specify it.

So, the only problem now (which is a big one indeed) is that the format for
the messages will be fixed, while I would like to manage arbitrary-length
messages with variable-type arguments. Not to mention that allowing symbols
is untested.
This is the first time I have a wish for the pd wishlist that is not "fix
bug number xxx".

I am thinking about crazy dynamic-patching hacks to achieve this.......

Another question: do you know how the sorting of messages inside [pipe] is
implemented? Will the time needed to add a message increase linearly? (I
think the best achievable is logaritmically, isn't it)

> And I don't know if the
> number of messages you can store in a "pipe" is limited or big enough

If not, I think I can work this one around by using multiple pipes, keep
track of the number of stored messages, and use a [poly] to menage
"available" [pipe]s

Thanks
m.