[PD] Couldn't creat [gemlist]. Also, how to destroy objects?

Dudley Brooks dbrooks at runforyourlife.org
Wed Mar 12 21:12:59 CET 2008

chris clepper wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 2:44 PM, Dudley Brooks
> <dbrooks at runforyourlife.org <mailto:dbrooks at runforyourlife.org>> wrote:
>
>     Pd-0.39.3-extended, MacBook Pro OSX 10.4
>
>     I downloaded /Gem/examples/advanced/19.pointer.pd and
>     ...../20.double-gemhead_vs_repeat.pd, to learn how to create multiple
>     instances of objects.  They both have some subpatches that use
>     [gemlist].  I got the error "gemlist ... couldn't create".
>
>     Those two patches were not in 0.39.3-extended.  Are they and [gemlist]
>     itself part of a more recent version, or what?
>
> Yes, the object is about two months old.

Thanks.  OK, another dumb question:  Puredata.org still has 0.39.3 as
the most recent version.  Where is the more recent version available,
pre-compiled for OSX Intel 10.4 or later?

>     Also, a dumb question:  How to create (at various times) and destroy (at
>     various times) geos, abstractions, etc.?  That is, how to have various
>     things pop in and out of existence (in the Gem window, at least) as the
>     "performance" runs?
>
> Turn off the gemhead and the object will go bye-bye.

D'oh!  I love it when a dumb question has a nice simple answer.

"Why do newbies have hunched shoulders and flat foreheads?"  "Because
when they try to figure out something themselves, they go <hunch
shoulders>, and when you tell them the answer they go <hit forehead with
heel of hand>."

I hope my new dumb question above is similarly trivial.

-- Dudley