[PD] [tutorial] creating a DVD with Pd+Gem

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Wed Mar 12 21:11:02 CET 2008

Hi,

I've written a tutorial on creating an PAL 4:3 interlaced DVD with Pd
and Gem.

Biased towards Linux, because that's what I use, might work on OS X and
Windows, I haven't tested.

Still some flaws, notably the lack of spatial filtering before fields
are discarded (which results in ugly aliasing).  I wrote a C program to
discard alternate fields from successive frames, if such a tool already
exists please let me know - I couldn't find one in netpbm or mjpegtools.

Thanks to Roman and Cyrille for persuading me to use the method of
rendering full frames at double framerate then discarding alternate fields.

Note: if you try it out, be prepared to have plenty of disk space free -
I needed about 12GB (but I think latest Gem fixes an issue that should
halve that to 6GB).

Note: you also need to change the path where images are saved (in
"iris.pd").

Links:

https://devel.goto10.org/listing.php?repname=maximus&path=%2Ftutorials%2Fgem-dvd%2F&rev=0&sc=0

https://devel.goto10.org/dl.php?repname=maximus&path=%2Ftutorials%2Fgem-dvd%2F&rev=0&isdir=1

svn checkout https://devel.goto10.org/svn/tutorials/gem-dvd gem-dvd

http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org/index.php?page=gallery/tutorials/gem-dvd

Any/all feedback appreciated!

Future plans include adding Pd-generated sound, proper anti-aliasing of
the video, more interesting video, and better documentation (let me know
what is lacking).

Claude
--
http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org