[PD] [almost OT] need suggestions for an implementation

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Mar 12 23:25:50 CET 2008

Hallo,
Matteo Sisti Sette hat gesagt: // Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:

> So, the only problem now (which is a big one indeed) is that the
> format for the messages will be fixed, while I would like to manage
> arbitrary-length messages with variable-type arguments. Not to
> mention that allowing symbols is untested.

I tested it, it works. ;) Pointers also work. An approach carmen did
in the past is to use list2symbol and symbol2list (the latter an
external) and delay only messages with one symbol in [pipe], where the
symbol is (de)constructed on demand. This may trigger Pd's memory leak
with symbols when you use a lot of them, though.

> Another question: do you know how the sorting of messages inside
> [pipe] is implemented? Will the time needed to add a message
> increase linearly? (I think the best achievable is logaritmically,
> isn't it)

Why care? There's not much you can do about it, if it's too slow,
except writing a better [pipe] in C/Lua/etc. and then it doesn't
matter anymore that [pipe] was too slow.

I think, a bigger problem of the [pipe] approach is that you cannot
reschedule anything, once it's in the pipe. You cannot change the
tempo anymore for example, and you cannot cancel single events. This
makes [pipe] only useful for things that you schedule once and that
you then can let run as they are, like a fixed score. For more dynamic
tasks this isn't appropriate. For this, an IOI approach as in [qlist]
etc. is much nicer.  But I guess, you're not looking for this kind of
thing anyway ...

Ciao