[PD] [almost OT] need suggestions for an implementation

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Thu Mar 13 14:59:56 CET 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 14:19 +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> I very much agree that pdlua is a wonderful extension ("best thing
> since [list]") that should become one of the standard externals to
> learn for every Pd user, because it can be used to implement all this
> missing (message) functionality of vanilla Pd while still requiring
> only a single tiny binary to install.

yo...  i totally agree...

> Some people may miss [s2l] in vanilla Pd, others miss a [pipe] for
> variable length lists or a multi-period [metro],

those can all be done with built-in objects already, as far as i can see
(with more or less effort, though).

>  a flexible markov
> chain object and whatnot.

to "whatnot": i still think, that some mechanism to split symbols isn't
just some arbitrary wish, because yet there is _no way at all_ to cut a
symbol into pieces. no matter how much effort you put into it, it's not
possible right now. the ability to create arbitrary symbols out of lists
(since pd 0.40)  is only half valuable without the opposite function.
actually, i wouldn't care much about how it'd be implemented: something
like [symbol2list] or something like [any2string], but at least the
ability to apply _some_ processing on symbols would complete what was
started with [$1$2$3( and became possible with the new methods shown in
[pd changing-messages] for the message box.

btw: [symbol2list] and [netclient] are currently the only externals used
by netpd (i would even have removed [symbol2list], if there'd be a way).

>  With pdlua most of this is almost trivial to
> write and can be installed without the need to compile anything once
> pdlua is installed.

not that i am any familiar with lua yet, but it seems to me that pdlua
would magically solve all of those issues.

roman