[PD] camera and wifi for a photo installation

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Sun Mar 16 17:07:14 CET 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 16:51 +0100, t'es in t'es bat wrote:

> > probably you could get a bit more specific about what exactly you're
> > trying to do instead of posting the same post twice (?)

> Sorry for the 2 post but i don't receive my message from the list and
> i think it was lost somewhere...

ah ok, i see. this happens to me as well sometimes, but i wasn't sure
whether it had anything to do with the list. now there is at least two
of us.

>         there are externals to process video and images 'live and
>         direct'. have
>         a look at Gem[1], Gridflow[2] and pdp/pidip[3].
>
>         [1] http://gem.puredata.info/
>             Gem is included in the pd-extended releases
>

> I don't really know GEM but i think i'll be forced to enter in it;
> which object can manage jpeg picture

[pix_image]

> and how can i get the picture from the cam ???

i don't know. what is a numeric cam? you mentioned, that you want to get
pictures over the wireless network. does this cam have its own ip, when
connected to the network? what kind of server is running on it providing
the pictures?

>         for the network part:
>
>         probably it would be better to let a little script do the job
>         of getting
>         the pictures from the cams to the local file system. it could
>         download a
>         picture in a certain intervall. once it the image is local you
>         could
>         constantly read the image with appropriate object of the
>         library of your
>         choice.

> Do you know a tuto to make that kind of stuff ????

you mean downloading the pictures? i don't know whithout knowing what
kind of cam you are using. i know, that there are some cams, which can
be connected to a network (ethernet or wireless), which have webserver
running and then you easily can grab the picture with a browser by
entering: http://<ip_of_your_cam>/<name_of_the_file>.jpg in the adress
field. if your cam is such a cam, then you could write little script
using the command wget. is that the kind of cam you are using?

roman