[PD] Box Muller Gaussian noise

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 17:31:52 CET 2008

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Andy Farnell
<padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk> wrote:

>  Also, I have no idea how to check the distribution. It sounds the same as
>  uniform noise and looks the same in the spectrograph? What gives?
>  Do I need to average over a very long time or something to see any
>  difference?

It should sound the same and look the same spectrally.  There was a
previous discussion on the list about how noise distributions (uniform
vs gaussian pdfs) should sound.  Namely, the same :)

To see the difference, you could try to calculate kurtosis values!
I've never had a good use for that one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurtosis
That statistic will show you the difference between Gaussian and
uniformly distributed noise, and confirm your distribution.

The Box Muller method should be good--that's a very reliable method.

Cheers,
Chuck