[PD] rradical hierarchy

Phil Stone pkstone at ucdavis.edu
Sun Mar 16 20:14:54 CET 2008

Greetings

As is unfortunately often the case, I'm getting utility from something
in PD long before I understand it, in this case rradical.  It works
nicely as a way of saving and recalling banks of presets, but I'm trying
to expand my capabilities into cutting and pasting parts of the rradical
directory tree (as implemented by [pool], and this is where I'm running
into a little difficulty with rradical's storage hierarchy.

As I understand it, rradical builds up a tree of directories created by
individual [originator directoryName $0] objects.  Within each of these
directories, one can have an arbitrary number of one-level-down
directories (for instance, in my case I use a preset number to access
the subdirectory).

The hierarchy ends up looking something like this (the number in the
second column is the preset):

/final_filter 0 , /enable , 1
/final_filter 0 , /freq , 0.543263
/final_filter 0 , /qfactor , 0.31746
/final_filter 1 , /enable , 1
/final_filter 1 , /freq , 0.929158
/final_filter 1 , /qfactor , 0.509524
/lfo_filter 0 , /enable ,1
/lfo_filter 0 , /wave ,sine
/lfo_filter 0 , /freq ,100
/lfo_filter 1 , /enable ,0
/lfo_filter 1 , /wave ,sine
/lfo_filter 1 , /freq ,0
.
.
other parameters

As you can see, it's organized by originator-name, then preset number,
then the key/value pair.  This makes it very difficult to access presets
as units for copy, pasting, etc.  For these purposes, the ideal
organization would be something like:

(preset number) / (originator) / (key/value pair)

One could then easily edit a preset as a logical unit.  The current
configuration makes it easy to edit all of one type of parameter across
all presets, but this seems much less useful than the converse.

I don't understand the guts of rradical/memento enough yet to know if
this way of organization is even possible, much less practical.  [pool],
at least, doesn't seem to care how its directories are organized (or
tagged: it seems any atom can be used to tag a directory).

Phil Stone
pkstonemusic.com