[PD] send~/receive~ and throw~/catch~ pairs in reblocked patches

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Tue Mar 18 11:34:13 CET 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 01:26 -0700, Spencer Russell wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 17:17 +0900, hard off wrote:
> > oops, sorry for double reply spencer..forgot to send this mail to the
> > list.
>
> no problem. I get the digest, so this sped up the process, anyways! :)
> >

> > the [send~] & [receive~] objects only work for default block size.
>
> hmm, the block~ documentation only seems to say that the blocking must
> be the same if you're send~ing across subpatches, which I assumed meant
> that sending within a reblocked subpatch would be OK. Is there a
> technical reason for this limitation?

actually i thought the same, but i had a look at send~-help.pd again,
and it clearly says, that [send~]/[receive~] pairs are only wokring with
a blocksize of 64 (updated last time for 0.33)

> > you can create a table the same size as your new blocksize, and use
> > [tabsend~] / [tabreceive~], although i think that might bring in a one
> > block delay, which might not be what you want.

from my tests, it seems, that a block delay is not avoidable with
tables.

> I could also use a delwrite~ and a delread~, which shouldn't introduce a
> delay if I force dsp calculation order using other subpatches. Just a
> little less clean.

i found something interesting here. i was trying to find a solution, but
couldn't find something else than using [delwrite~]/[delread~] pair.
however, the interesting part is, that you only can get 0 delay, if you
really put them in separated subpatches wich are connected. even if the
creation order of [dekwrite~] and [delread~] is correct, the delay is
one block. or if you cut the connection between the two subpatches, the
delay jumps to one block again. and also make sure, to give [delwrite~]
at least a buffer of one block size~. [delwrite~ bla 0] doesn't work,
even if the resulting delay is 0ms.

roman