[PD] flashing a bng without making it send?

matteo sisti sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 16:15:19 CET 2008

I'm not sure I understood Steffen's proposed solution, and I'm not
sure whether I explained clearly what was my goal.

However, I've come up with an interesting solution (attached), which
satisfies my requirements except one that is however sacrifiable.

Here's what I needed.

1) Somewhere there is a [r xxx] that does something important, such as
playing a sound
2) The name "xxx" is "publicly known", that is, wherever I need to
play that sound under any circumstances in any part of my patch, I can
trust that I can send a bang to "xxx"  -- e.g. [; xxx bang( -- and
that will result in the sound being played once.
3) Somewhere in the patch I want to place ONE OR MORE [bng] objects,
with their "send symbol" and "receive symbol" (in the bng properties)
set to "xxx-if-send" and "xxx-if-receive" respectively (or any other
convention such that the send and received symbols can be deduced from
the control name "xxx")
4) Every time that you click _any_ of the [bng]s, one and only one
bang is sent to "xxx".
5) Every time that a bang is sent to "xxx" from any source other than
the gui [bng]s, _all_ the [bng]s flash
6) Every time that you click any of the [bng]s, all other [bng]s
visually flash as well.
7) Somewhere there's an instance (or as many instances as needed,
depending on how it works) of an abstraction with "xxx" as an
argument, that make everything work as described.
b) Obviously, you can repeat all this with any other control name.

Now, the attached example works as described except for point (6):
when you click one bng, the message is sent to the target but the
other bngs don't flash; however I'm quite fine with that. When a bang
is sent from an "external" source, the [bng]s do bang.

Look at the attached patch "example_control_bang.pd", which uses the
[control_bang] abstraction.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bye
m.