[PD] Alternate Controllers

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Wed Mar 19 01:34:42 CET 2008

What's interesting is that the HID protocol is orders of magnitude
faster than using USB-serial to access an Arduino. We figured that out
last week preparing for the gamepad hacking workshop at Pickled Feet
here in Berlin. This is because gaming is such a huge market, I figure,
which really drives the computer hardware industry. But geeks with
sensors, they just don't represent much of a market share at all, do
they... ;-) And the serial port protocol is pretty old and dusty at this
point.

Martin Howse etched up some very simple ATMega8 HID boards based on this
design:

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/howto/mind.htm

These worked very well with [hid] on Linux and OS X, and they worked
with the Windows [joystick] object just fine too.

Total cost approx EUR 3! Very fast and reliable, with two 10 bit and
five 8 bit sensor inputs plus room for 24 buttons (according to the
original design, however these aren't used on Martin's stripped down
board). The author of the original design says that an ATMega16 or
greater could have many more sensor inputs (and buttons too). The inputs
take 0-5 V DC as control information, so any kind of sensor you can rig
up as a voltage divider will work great. Board also provides 0 V and 5
V, from the USB bus.

A savvy person could easily do one of their own, or perhaps I'll
convince Martin (CC'ed here) to post his board somewhere.

Enjoy!
d.

Daniel Wilcox wrote:
> Try hacking some gamepads ... its cheap and easy.  Try [hid].
>
> My project, robotcowboy, <http://www.robotcowboy.com/> makes use of
> hacked gamepads and a custom joy -> OSC daemon in Linux.  I'm getting ready
> to release it soon, so if you use Linux you could try that.
>
> For instance, I cut a gamepad up and wrapped it around my old trumpet.
> pic1 <http://www.robotcowboy.com/dump/P1070845.jpg>, pic2
> <http://www.robotcowboy.com/dump/P1070846.jpg>, a short pd session with
> it <http://www.robotcowboy.com/dump/1-5-2008_21-30-1_Bleet.mp3>
>
> There's lots of cool stuff you can for cheap.  Also, old console
> gamepads (psx, ps2, gamecube) are readily available and all you need is
> a usb converter.  I've found aftermarket playstation controllers the
> perfect hackables.
>
> --
> Dan Wilcox
> danomatika