[PD] Why use Lua instead of PHP in my case ?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Mar 20 16:55:24 CET 2008

Hallo,
Jack hat gesagt: // Jack wrote:

> Le 20 mars 08 à 15:43, Frank Barknecht a écrit :
> >I don't know of an external which adds PHP support inside of Pd. If
> >you are talking about which programming language to choose outside of
> >Pd: I'd choose whatever you feel most comfortable with. Of course one
> >could debate which language is the "better" language, Lua or PHP, but
> >I think, this would be very off-topic here.
> Of course, I selected that with which I am more at ease. :)
> In fact, i just want to know if Lua is as at ease as PHP with
> Internet, string operation and MySQL.
> Lua is well implemented in PD, so i think it's not very off-topic here !

Yeah, I meant the more general discussion if Lua altogether is
"better" than PHP would be off-topic. Until PHP is available in Pd,
the choice between Lua and PHP inside of Pd is easy.

Outside of Pd there's nothing wrong with using PHP for programming.
One difference between Lua and many other popular languages like PHP,
Python or Perl is, that Lua is not a language which comes with many
modules whereas the "P-languages" shine in regard to this and have
many ready-to-use library bindings on board. The core Lua however is
deliberatly kept small - much like Pd actually!

Core Lua already has powerful string operations, but for MySQL or
Socket/Internet programming you need to install separate libraries.
The Kepler project would be a good start.

I don't know very much about PHP (I tend to avoid PHP and Perl as much
as possible and greatly prefer Python, if I need lots of library
bindings) so I cannot comment on how good the PHP libraries are
compared to what's available for Lua.

Ciao